martes, 6 de marzo de 2007

Painting with light / Pintando con luz


Flamingos. RB Los Petenes, Campeche
Photography became more than a hobby to me some years ago. During hard times, when people have serious problems, they try to find support in family, friends and perhaps in some activity such as music, sports, arts. Some might even go the wrong way of using drugs and alcohol. Yet for others, such as me, it was photography. This art helped me a lot in one of the most difficult periods of my life. All in the same year (2001) my father suddenly died, I divorced after 5 years of a failed marriage and begin the last part of my ambitious PhD field work project. Photography became a curiosity again, then a hobby, later a challenge and finally a passion. The combination of the enormous attachment I have for wildlife and wild places, together with the artistic and technical challenges that photography brings with, was a “balsam” for those days of pain and solitude. Today, all cuts cured, photography continues to be a second great passion -the study and love for nature will always be the first one-. Perhaps I am too pretentious to insinuate that my photography is art. I consider that I am still at the beginning of the road as you never stop learning and improving in this activity beautifuly described by someone as "painting with light".
_______________________________
La fotografía se convirtió en algo mucho más grande que un pasatiempo para mi desde hace algunos años. En tiempos difíciles, cuando la gente tiene problemas serios, tiende a apoyarse en algo que le sirva de "salvavidas". Unos van por la música, otros por el deporte, otros mas por caminos equivocados como las drogas. Para otros, como yo, fue la fotografía. Este arte me ayudó mucho en uno de los periodos más difíciles de mi vida mientras estaba en Inglaterra. En el mismo año (2001) mi padre murió, me divorcié despues de 5 años de un mal matrimonio y comencé la última y mas ambiciosa etapa de mi doctorado. La fotografía se convirtió en una curiosidad primero, luego en un hobby, después en un reto y finalmente en una pasión. La combinación del enorme apego que siento por la naturaleza salvaje de nuestro planeta, con los retos técnicos y artísticos que representa la fotografía fueron un bálsamo para aquellos días de dolor y soledad. Hoy, curadas todas las heridas, la fotografía sigue siendo una segunda gran pasión -el estudio y amor por la naturaleza siempre será la primera-. Quizás sea demasiado pretencioso al insinuar que mi trabajo fotográfico es arte. Considero que aún estoy en el camino y nunca se deja de aprender y mejorar en esta increíble actividad que es, en palabras ajenas, "pintar con la luz".

Cercetas alas azules al amanecer/ Blue-winged teals at first light